- Prevent and combat anything that may threaten the safety and security of any community
- Investigate any crimes that threaten the safety and security of any community
- Ensure offenders are brought to justice
- Participate in efforts to address the causes of crime
The officer was rushed to a local provincial hospital by paramedics, and once stabilized moved to Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital ER for further assessment and surgical intervention, initially assessed by the ER doctors, then moved to the ICU. Further examination of the patients injuries relieved a gunshot wound tracking through the lumbar vertebra at the level of L4, and exiting through the anterior abdomen, rustling in the following injuries: paraplegia; damage to the right kidney and a perforated colon.
A loaded bullet or round consists of the following components:
- The projectile's fragmentation and deformation (resulting in an increase in surface area)
- The entrance profile and the path traveled through the body
- The inherent biological characteristics of the affected tissue
Swift B, Rutty GN: The exploding bullet. J Clin Pathol. 2004 Jan;57(1):108.